7/11/2007

July 11th

The circus is in town this weekend. They have set their tent up right down the street from our house. I remember you in your silly hat, with a smile plastered on your face, as you handed me a mound of cotton candy and told me that you had made special arrangements for me to ride the elephant. What I did not realize until years later is that anyone can make special arrangements to ride the elephants, assuming they are willing to part with ten dollars.
Each year I think that the fact that you are gone will not matter any more today than it did yesterday. This year I find myself surprised to realize that it does.
Those first few days I thought, "Yesterday this time my world was intact."
I continued to count time in relation to when you had exited my life for that entire first year.
I don't remember when I last visited your grave. I can't decide whether this fact would upset you, or if you would simply be pleased that I think of you at all.

2 comments:

K. Restoule said...

"the circus is in town"

That's what I call an election

Just Call Me Fabulous said...

This is one of very few things that you ever write seriously about, but when you do bring it up you speak of it with such feeling and sincerity that I can't imagine anyone watching from above would believe you'd forgotten about them.