1/23/2006

It's Election Day!

Does anybody else feel almost like it's Christmas all over again? Today is full of magical possibilities... OR bitter disappointment and fear for where our country is headed. It shocks me that not everybody is as enthusiastic about voting as I am. How can you not be excited to vote? Students (a.k.a. my peers) leave me with a overwhelming sense of disappointment. Today I saw a statistic that said only 25% of people ages 18 to 24 vote. It is not like voting is particularly strenuous. We're not being asked to a run a marathon here. It is really simple, trust me. It's almost idiot proof. You go to the place where you're supposed to vote, you give them your name, and then you walk behind the little cardboard booth they have set-up and you make an 'X' in the circle next to the candidate you want to vote for. I do not know about all of you, but I learned how to write an 'X' before I was even in kindergarten.
Today, I plan to ensure that all of my friends, every last one of them, head down to the polls and cast their votes. I couldn't wait this long to vote, and did it last Saturday instead. It was awesome. I didn't even have to wait in line or anything.
But seriously... you can't complain about the way your country is being run if you can't even be bothered to take a half an hour out of your day to put your two cents in.
In closing, whether you win or lose, Jack Layton, I still want to bear your children (assuming that Olivia Chow gives us her blessing).

2 comments:

CR said...

Whee! Another person witha crush on Jack Layton. I seriously would make out with him if I got the chance. And I also cannot understand people who don't vote. It truly boggles my mind that people can't take 20 minutes and go check a box on a piece of paper.

Megan said...

He is my ultimate fantasy lay...