1/25/2013

So apologies in advance for that..

We're in the swooning phase. You know, where everything is fucking magical and new. Three weeks in. That's the way it's supposed to be, I think.

I don't typically swoon. I am not a swooner. I did not swoon on or after our first date. I think he did though. He sat there for two and a half hours just smiling at me.

It made me feel uncomfortable.

"This guy is probably a serial killer," I thought to myself. "It rubs the lotion on its skin," the voice in my head kept chanting.

I had run out of things to talk about after five minutes and he was so quiet, sitting there... just smiling.

I decided to fill the silence with my own voice and only took brief breaks from doing so to drink from the smoothie I had ordered.

It was mango and it was delicious.

Date number two was less awkward. I had considered cancelling, but he had promised to do his best to keep up his end of the conversation. He was better, but he still largely just sat there and listened as I rambled on. This time I drank gin and tonics and snacked on deep fried pickles. I did not try to fill all of the silences. When they happened, I let them. I used the opportunity to glance up at the television, in the bar where we sat, to check the score of the hockey game.

"Do you follow hockey?" I asked him.

"Not really," he replied.

"Me either," I confessed, but I am still Canadian and it was the Leafs playing the Habs. If I did not at least know the outcome, I would probably lose my right to universal healthcare.

When we kissed at the end of the night, I was still undecided.

And then, suddenly, a few days later, it was as though a switch had been flicked somewhere. My productivity went down the drain and my level of corniness flew through the roof.

2 comments:

Accidentally Me said...

Just so I'm clear...this is about a new boy, right? Squeal:-)

Charlotte @ Living Well on the Cheap said...

Oooooh so exciting! That's how it was with Nick and I too. I was thoroughly unimpressed and thought he was perhaps a little dense, then somewhere between the second and third dates something clicked and now we live happily ever after.